When the Citizen Task Force was formed it adopted a Mission and Ground Rules to confirm its objectives and topics for discussion and guide its process, decision making and operating protocols. Over the years the group has made minor revisions to the document.
West Valley Citizen Task Force Objectives
The objectives of the Task Force are to:
- Provide a forum for open discussion of related issues by community representatives;
- Identify and understand the various interests of the community and other interested parties;
- Increase the flow of information between DOE, NYSERDA and the Task Force Members (and their constituencies);
- Expand areas of agreement, clarify differences, and explore ways to establish mutually agreed upon recommendations among the Task Force members;
- Enhance public involvement in the decision-making process; and
- Coordinate with regulators.
Topics for Citizen Task Force Comment and Recommendations
The Citizen Task Force process is being conducted in addition to the public comment process required by the National Environmental Policy Act and the State Environmental Quality Review Act. The Task Force will discuss the following specific topics and provide comments or recommendations to the agencies for consideration:
- Phase 1 Studies identification, implementation, results, impacts and applicability to decisionmaking;
- EIS process for Decommissioning including the development of the preferred alternative;
- NRC Decommissioning Plan process;
- Long-Term Stewardship;
- Future land use options and long-term impacts; and
- The continued communication with, and significant engagement of, the general public, interested environmental organizations and local and regional governments.